Discover how to set-up our parental control app on Android
Thanks to Parentsaround parental control software, you can protect your children even when they go online from their Android smartphones or tablets.
From your child's device
1- Installation and launch of the application
- Go to the Google Play Store from the device you want to protect.
- Write “Parentsaround” in the search bar
- Choose “Parents Around Parental Control”
- Click on “Install”
Launch of the application
- Sign in with your account login and password you created when you subscribed, or register yourself directly from the app.
- You need to give Parentsaround some permissions to make it work properly. Allow them whenever the app asks for them.
- Choose a safety code to use the device as a parent, without any restriction.
- Done ! You can now use your device without restriction, or create new users, update users, modify your settings…
2- Configure a child session
Creating a child session
- You have finished the app configuration and now you can start configurating the users. Click on the avatar displayed on the screen to create a new user.
- Enter your child’s name.
- Provide his birth date in order to apply an appropriate Internet filtering level.
Setting-up your child's profile
Once you have created your child profile, you will be redirected to the User Condiguration part. Select the gear icon on the upper right corner of your child’s profile. There you will have access to differents settings which give you the rights to :
- create allowed time slots for the smartphone or the tablet.
- select the apps your child can use during this allowed time slots.
- define some essential apps (alarm clock, calculator…). This apps will be available all the time, even when your child is not on his allowed time slots or if he has exceeded them. NB : the emergency numbers are always available, regardless the time slot.
- apply an Internet filtering adapted to your child’s age.
- receive your child’s request for any app or website access and respond to his demand.
3- Log in to a child session
- Your profile and those of your children are available from the screen « Choose your session ».
- Click on the child profile you want to access.
- Create a safety code with your child that can be easily remembered by him and you, so he can access the session later.
- By default, your child will access the Android open desktop, but only authorized applications will be available.
- Note that your child can see his remaining time of use via the notification bar.
Main features of the app
A - Embedded safe browser
For safe search on the Internet, use the embedded safe browser given by Parentsaround.com. Our safe browser blocks all websites which are inappropriate according to your child’s age.
B - Request an application from the smartphone
Pour vous demander l'accès à une application, rien de plus simple: il suffit à votre enfant de lancer l'application en question (qui sera bloquée si tel était votre souhait), et de cliquer sur"Demander l'application" . Vous serez immédiatement averti par mail et pourrez y répondre : To ask your permission to access an unauthorized application, your child just has to launch a blocked app and click on “Request this app”. You will be advised by email immediately and you can answer :
- via your parent dashboard
- or directly from the app by login on your sessions ("Request" tab)
From your parent dashboard
1 - What is the dashboard?
- You dashboard allows you to manage your settings for each of your children on their devices
- It is available at www.parentsaround.com. Click on Dashboard on the top right-hand corner of the page and enter your login details. You can also access it through your child's Android device, by opening the Parentsaround.com app and by login to your session.
- Note that you can access your dashboard from your PC, mobile or tablet.
- If you install the parental control on two different devices used by your child, they both appear on the “Users” screen. You can merge those elements to create a unique profile, in which the same configuration will be applied. Click on the icon present in the top right corner of your user profile. A list including other profiles appears: select one of them and click on “Group”.
2 - Time slots
- In the dashboard go to “Users”.
- Click on “More” and the “Schedule” button of the child user concerned. You can also go directly to schedule from the menu.
- You can then manage when and how long your children will spend on each device, per day and per week!
- Create and customize predefined weeks type (“School”, “Holidays”, etc): click on “Weeks type”, then on the button “Modify” for one of the week templates.
For a child using several device, you can create an identical schedule for all of them. This allows your child to spend his allocated time on different devices.
3 - Apps management
During the authorized time slots
- In the dashboard, go to “User”.
- Click on “More” and on the “Applications” button of the child user concerned, or go to this feature directly from the menu.
- Go to the tab “Allowed applications”.
- Select those applications that the child user will be allowed to run during authorized slots.
Outside the authorized time slots
- In the dashboard click on the “Applications” button of the child user concerned.
- Go to the tab “Critical applications”. Now choose the applications you want to allow permanently, even when your child uses his device outside his allowed time slots. In this case, the time he spends on it is no longer taken into account.
4 - Internet filtering level
- In the dashboard go to “Users”.
- Click on “More” and on the “Web filtering” button of the child user concerned. This option is also available in the menu, via the “Web filtering” button.
- Choose an appropriate level for internet filtering.
- As for setting the level of internet filtering on computers, the Android device’s internet filtering is automatically fixed according to the birth date that you provided when you created the user. You can update this setting if required.
5 - Your preferences
By default, your child will access the classic Android desktop (but only allowed apps will be accessible). However, you can set up a safer and restricted desktop provided by Parentsaround. To do this, log in to your dashboard, go to the “Applications” button of the user in question, and select the “Preferences” tab. Activate the “Restricted desktop”, so only the allowed apps will appear! From this tab, you can also choose to automatically ban all newly installed apps, and to be notified by email as soon as an application is downloaded.
9 - How to uninstall Parentsaround.com?
If you want to uninstall the parental control application, log-in as a parent on the device concerned. Choose « Configure child sessions », then select the gear icon on the upper right corner of the screen. Here, you’ll find a button “Uninstall this application”.
Do you have a problem setting up the parental control app?
Feel free to read our FAQ to solve it.